Fall Fashion Essentials
Fall fashion season is upon us, but with the Tokyo heat still having us all in our summer ensembles, it is hard to get in the mind frame of of autumn hues and textiles for next month. The stores are swarming with summer clearances and the thought of tackling the retail world is overwhelming. So, in order to make your shopping experience a success, Savvy has collected a short list of fall fashion basics that will have you in season and on trend from earring to boot, and ready when the weather finally matches the season.
1. Put a twist on your jeans this fall and opt for an on-trend gray hue like this distressed pair from Rag & Bone. Style just as your favorite denim from past seasons, or go for a monochromatic look and wear them with a knit sweater in a lighter shade of gray. Found at the Rag & Bone store in Omotesando.
2. Tokyo’s fall weather doesn’t require us to bundle up in our furs and heavy tweed just yet. Instead, we can throw on thin knits to take the edge off cooler temperatures without the risk of sweating on the platform. Go bold with a graphic pullover, such as this one found at Shopbop (¥17,921). Pair it with distressed boyfriend jeans or glam it up with a pencil skirt and heels.
3. Nothing screams “fall” louder than the quintessential riding boot. The perfect marriage of comfort and stylized structure, the knee-high riding boot will be a regular in your weekly wardrobe lineup. Pull your favorite pair out from the closet or start over fresh with a clean and classic black leather pair such as these beauties from Asos (¥25,000). Wear them over denim, leggings or tights. The styling possibilities are endless.
4. The polished and ever-so-flattering pencil skirt is a perfect transitional piece between your summer minis and long trousers for winter. This fall, take a tip from the runways and go for a patterned look such as this amazing piece from Zara (¥6,900). This skirt is sure to style beautifully with a simplistic blazer or casual tee.
5. Before winter forces us to cover our necklines with heavy wools and cashmere, Japan’s mild autumn allows us to sport the winter scarf’s younger, trendier sister, the silk scarf. You can find this perfect accessory at many department stores around the city. Style the scarf smartly around the neck, or borrow a look from the past and tie it around your head. Not a scarf person? Tie it neatly over your handbag for an extra pop of color and flair.
6. The classic blazer is the piece that pulls it all together, making an otherwise effortless ensemble look well thought out and structured. The beauty of the blazer is that it can be worn over virtually anything and provides a chic look with comfort to boot! This item is a must-have for women who are looking for multi-functional pieces which transition easily from day to night. Go for a simple piece with a fantastic fit such as a single button, tuxedo style blazer like this one from J. Crew (¥33,979).
7. Accessories can make the outfit, but in some cases heavy costume jewelry can distract from the overall look. Go for timeless and classic pieces that fall parallel with this season’s minimalist trend, such as these small yet regal earrings from Margaret Howell, found on Zozotown (¥9,450).
8. As women living in Tokyo, most of us have nothing but our legs and the train transporting us from point A to B, making our handbag (and otherwise lifeline), a big detail of our daily wardrobe. Looking for utility and glam is key, and this fall the designers made it easy with ladylike top handle bags, with room for all of our daily paraphernalia. Keep it simple with sleek black or gray, or go for a berry or floral hue, such as this deep iris color from Michael Kors (¥47,250).