Holiday Party Style
The year is winding down and we’ll soon be saying "sayonara" to 2013, but before we send off the year of the snake we have some celebrating to do. Holiday parties and bonenkais (year-end parties) are fast approaching, and whether you are headed to a work function after office hours or have the whole evening to glam it up, Savvy has some tips and trends to share when pulling together your festive fashion. While sequins, shine and gold are all on par for the party scene, here are some ideas to keep you looking elegant and merry, but not mistaken for party décor. With an arsenal of options out there, from seasonal hues to luxurious accessories, we’ve got you covered.
1. Who said holiday sweaters had to be ugly? Rock a structured peplum sweater in a deluxe fabric, such as this one from Rim + Larkin, found at Piperlime (currently on sale for ¥7,035). If you are in the need to walk a fine line between professional and festive, pair it with a black pantsuit during the day, and for after hours fun, accessorize with a jeweled statement necklace or stone drop earrings. This casual yet eye-catching look is a perfect option for after-work izakaya (pub) festivities.
2. In lieu of purchasing another holiday dress with limited mileage, invest in ornate jewelry to jazz up a piece from your closet. This necklace from J. Crew (¥16,183) would go well with a basic sheath dress in a solid color. Stray away from fabrics with additional shine or embellishments to avoid looking too ornamental.
3. A simple lace hem paired with a holiday hue is a sure way to be on theme for the party. Pair a skirt like this red Topshop piece found on Zozotown (¥6,825) with opaque tights, allowing the lace detail to pop. Style casually with a chunky knit sweater or dress it up with a tucked in, patterned blouse.
4. Brocade needs neither introduction nor excessive extras. Seek out pieces with a classic shape in the opulent fabric. The mix of textiles in this brocade and sheer dress from Sisley (¥13,000) makes it a perfect pick. Pair with black pumps and sultry makeup for an elegant entrance to your evening event.
5. Jump into a jumpsuit. A one-piece option is a simple solution for a knockout party look. As an alternative to basic black, opt for a rich tone such as this emerald green from Catherine Malandrino (¥42,154). The color itself is plenty festive, so don’t overdo it on bedazzled jewelry. Go for solid gold pieces or a fur shawl to keep the focal point on the flattering silhouette.
6. Winter white is the in-vogue color of the season. This structured white blouse from H&M (¥4,990) would pair beautifully with high-waist trousers for an after-work soiree, or go edgy with a fitted leather skirt.
7. Let your shoes do all the talking. Don’t write off the little black dress just yet. Rock your favorite LBD but glam it up with fierce, embellished heels. Step into some sequins like this super sparkling pair from Kate Spade New York (¥45,150). Tie it all together with a sequin detailed clutch in the same shade.
8. Complement your outfit and cinch it all in with a lively belt. For a monochrome outfit, opt for a bold colored statement belt, or add a little glitter to an already festive outfit with a skinny one such as this one from Mango (¥1,990).