Savvy’s Guide to Holiday Dressing
December 12, 2014
The city is illuminated and the season of festive fetes is in full swing. Our calendars are filling up with celebrations, and with all the hosting, organizing, and Christmas shopping, we're often left with little time to orchestrate outfit ideas. From toasting with colleagues to ringing in the new year, here are some styling options that will have you looking chic and Savvy, and will hopefully put an end to the dreaded “what to wear” dilemma this party season.
The Company Bonenkai
Whether you are going as a date or attending your own company’s year-end party, it is always wise to maintain a level of professionalism. Aim to strike a balance between cocktail attire and business formal, skipping the skintight dresses and opting instead for an effortless yet elegant style.
A tuxedo pant in a luxe material, paired with a tucked in silk, satin or synthetic blend blouse is a polished and refined look, yet still departs from your everyday uniform. Go festive with a jeweled necklace and clutch and add some sex appeal with a sky-high pump and a deep red manicure.
- Gold tuxedo pant by J.Crew (around ¥21,000 from Net A Porter)
- Black blouse by Zara (¥5,990 and available online here)
- Jeweled necklace by Banana Republic (¥7,990 and available online here)
- Embellished clutch by River Island (around ¥5,200 from ASOS)
- Ankle strap pumps by Diane Von Furstenburg (around ¥21,000 from Shopbop)
The School Holiday Program
Concerts and winter programs are typically in the cards for mothers, caretakers and school staff during the holidays. Similar to an office soiree, it is sensible not to cross the line between festive and inappropriate.
Keeping the holiday novelty vests and snowman motif sweaters tucked away in the closet, opt for a high neckline such as a thin knit turtleneck and pair it with a leather or jacquard pencil skirt. Structured yet jovial accessories add a perfect touch to the evening outfit, and an on-trend statement overcoat and leather gloves give the ensemble polish. Lipstick in spiced hues or matte nude bring warmth and grace to the look.
- Jacquard pencil skirt by Altuzarra for Target (around ¥7,400 from Net A Porter)
- Roll neck sweater by Next (¥4,667 and available online here)
- Statement overcoat by Zara (¥9,990 and available online here)
- Cross body bag by Pour La Victoria (around ¥12,000 JPY from Shopbop)
- Leather gloves by H&M (¥2,490 and available online here)
- Earrings by H&M (¥500 and available online here)
The Christmas Brunch with Friends
Whether you are invited to a friend’s home or your crew all plans to congregate at a fancy restaurant, a formal brunch is always a lovely reason to dive into the holiday spirit with a fun and feminine outfit.
A taffeta or midi skirt, paired with a form fitting sweater or cashmere top is a great choice for a daytime celebration. Pair it with a biker jacket and ankle booties to bring edge to the prettiness of the skirt and sweater. Big framed sunglasses and a deep blue manicure will add some glam to the chic look.
Midi skirt by Topshop (around ¥7,000 and available online here)
Cropped cotton sweater by J.Crew (around ¥15,000 from Net A Porter)
Biker jacket by Maje (around ¥110,000 from Net A Porter)
Sunglasses by Armani Exchange (around ¥15,000 and available online here)
Ankle boots by ASOS Early Bird (around ¥5,200 from ASOS)
The New Year’s Eve Party
Time to get your party shoes on! All your reservations for the office, school and fancy restaurant can be put to rest, as this is the time to let loose. Bring on the bling and ring in the new year with style and glam.
Winter white hues, blush and nudes are all the rage this season, so opt for a monochromatic look with fun details. This nude hued, crepe embellished mini dress paired with nubuck sandals is the perfect canvas for your New Year’s outfit. Stay warm between parties with a long overcoat and fur stole. Accessorize with a blush tone clutch and lean toward mauve lip colors and frost hued makeup to create a beautiful pale pink look.
- Crepe mini dress by Needle and Thread (about ¥42,000 from Net A Porter)
- Nubuck sandals by Shutz (about ¥23,000 from Shopbop)
- Overcoat by Topshop (around ¥16,000 and available online here)
- Clutch by Aldo (around ¥5,200 from ASOS)
- Fur stole by Zara (around ¥5,990 and available online here)