Sneaker Fever: Footwear for Girls on the Go
October 31, 2014
While the quintessential fall boot is slowly starting to make an appearance and reclaim its closet real estate, there is another piece of footwear that is trending across the globe and slowly gaining more territory in a woman’s shoe collection. The simple sneaker, and all of its style-meets-comfort glory, is all the rage in footwear fashion this fall. Shoe designers have aligned with current trends and top fashion labels, bridging the gap between contemporary fashion and athletic apparel. Fusing creativity and function, you can style your comfy kicks to make them look like an intentional trend statement rather than the back-up shoe when the heels start hurting. With high-end additions such as suede, leather and metallic embellishments, the versatility of sneakers makes them a wise investment this season.
Here are a few options and style suggestions of fresh fall footwear, from slip-ons to high-top styles, that will keep you looking chic with a touch of cool-girl comfort.
1. High-tops. The famous silhouette of the high-top sneaker was spotted on many fashion week goers this past month. While the high-top has never lost its ground in the fashion world, luxe twists have been added to many styles to keep their relevance, such as this leather pair with metallic fastenings from Zara (¥10,990). Style classically with skinny jeans and a fur vest or lace them tight to the top and sport with a fitted pencil skirt and chunky knit sweater.
2. Athletic. Not just for the gym or for your morning jog around the palace, the athletic trainer is another key sneaker style to collaborate with your wardrobe favorites. For a sophisticated touch, style a bold hued pair, like these neon orange New Balance ones (around ¥15,000) with an elegant dress under a leather jacket or a cropped pair of trousers styled under a trench coat.
3. Low-tops. We have seen the resurgence of the low-top Converse sweeping through all age ranges and genders, however another low-top sneaker that delivers the same classic and effortless style is the Superga sneaker, like this croc-embossed faux patent leather pair found on Shopbop (¥15,265). They can be worn to amplify an ultra-feminine outfit or sported casually with denim and a leather jacket.
4. Slip-ons. The slip-on sneaker and all its versatile magnificence makes it a major staple to keep in your shoe arsenal. Opposed to the everyday flat, the slip-on sneaker adds a touch of edge to your everyday look. From graphic prints, studs and even mohair varieties, slip-ons are a great choice to keep you en vogue and your heels at ease. On trend in camo, these Michael Kors calf hair slip-ons, (¥33,00) would look great with opaque tights, a flared mini skirt and tucked-in, button up blouse or styled “off-duty” with leggings and a poncho.
5. Wedges. Isabel Marant may have been the pioneer of the wedge sneaker’s revival, but since their rapid popularity, designers have mimicked the look season after season, creating a number of variations across all price points. These chain-embellished wedge sneakers by Ash (¥34,347) can be the focal point of your ensemble while giving you a little bit of added height. The optional curb-chain style would pair well with distressed denim and a classic white t-shirt or styled similarly as a boot over a leather leggings and a fitted blazer.