Celebrating Mother’s Day the Healthy Way
Leading into what will be my first Mother’s Day as a mom myself, I want to gently guide my present buyer into some suitable and practical suggestions. Some of the best gifts can be both fun and useful. Instead of the traditional Mother’s Day gifts, how about getting spoilt this year with a health and wellness inspired present that you can enjoy. Here are a few ideas for hints you may want to start dropping:
- Exercise class voucher: Is there yoga, Pilates, boxing, personal training or a gym in your area that you have been talking about but haven’t quite got around to checking out? A voucher is a great kick-start to test it out and start the ball rolling.
- Spa treatment: Always a tough one to go past! Time to relax, unwind and de-stress is always appreciated as a mother. A pampering treatment such as a facial, massage, manicure, pedicure or hair blow dry is never an unwanted gift! For a full blown treat, a whole day spa is an amazing indulgence.
- Exercise gear: There is nothing more motivating than some funky new exercise clothes! Yoga pants, new swimwear, running shoes or a new sports bra is always great. Or even some new equipment such as a yoga mat, hand weights, swiss ball or workout DVD can be a great useful gift to get inspired to boost up your exercise routine.
- Healthy hamper: A basket full of goodies that could include specialty teas, dark chocolate, relaxing aromatherapy oils, and/or bath and body products will make you feel very special. Alternatively, a subscription for a regularly delivered organic fruit and vegetable box is an ongoing gift that has benefits for the whole family.
- Golf package: Spring is the perfect time to be in the outdoors on some of the beautiful golf courses around Tokyo. A golf lesson or a day out of 18 holes with some friends would be a fantastic gift for some moms.
- For the chefs: A healthy cookbook, cooking class or a subscription to a healthy recipe magazine can also benefit the whole family, while giving the recipient some motivation to get creative in the kitchen.
- Healthy breakfast in bed: If all else fails, a healthy breakfast in bed made with love and served with a big cuddle and a sweet handwritten card would make any mom feel like the luckiest person in the world. The healthy banana pancakes below are simple, delicious, healthy and shouldn’t cause too much of a mess to prepare!
Recipe: Coconut Banana Pancakes
Adapted from Secret Squirrel
Gluten free / dairy free / refined sugar free / paleo / vegetarian
Serves 1–2 (just double/triple/quadruple the quantities below to serve more)
What You Need
1 banana, mashed with a fork
2 eggs, whisked
1/3 cup shredded coconut (optional but recommended)
Coconut oil or butter
Toppings (see below for ideas)
What to Do
- Add mashed banana, whisked eggs and coconut to a bowl and mix well.
- Heat a frying pan with the oil/butter to medium heat.
- Add pancake batter according to size of pancake you desire. Flip after about two minutes (or when golden brown) and fry until cooked through.
- Serve topped with anything you have on hand! Banana, berries, nuts, seeds, coconut, coconut cream/yogurt, maple syrup, almond butter and/or cinnamon. Be creative!