Recipe: Healthy White Christmas
Traditional Holiday Treat
This is a delicious, healthy version of White Christmas!
Not only is this seasonal snack gluten-free, dairy free and refined sugar-free but is filled with good heart-healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals! It’s great at Christmas parties for kids (and big kids!) as a sugar-free traditional holiday treat. Here’s the recipe:
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut cream*
- ¾-1 cup mixed pistachios and macadamias
- ¾-1 cup mixed dried cranberries and goji berries
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- Roughly chop the nuts and put them aside
- Put the shredded coconut, coconut cream and vanilla in a blender or food processor and mix until well combined and kind of a buttery consistency. You may need to scrape down the sides a couple of times to ensure it all is mixed. (No need to stress too much here if you used very fine desiccated coconut—it will turn out great!)
- Put the coconut mixture into a bowl, add in the maple syrup, nuts and dried fruit and mix all together.
- Add mixture to 20cm x 20cm tray and push down with the back of a spoon until well compacted.
- Pop into the fridge for at least an hour (overnight is better). When hardened, take out and cut into small squares or cute Christmas shapes.
Note: You can add any nuts, fruits and seeds to suit your taste or what’s in your pantry. The red and green mix goes well for Christmas though and it’s hard to pass up macadamias in anything!
* You can often buy coconut cream in the supermarket. However, as an alternative, pop a tin of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. In the morning, open the can (don’t shake the tin!) and the yummy coconut cream will have settled on the top. Scoop out the creamy part with a spoon, being careful not to include the watery stuff on the bottom. You can save that part to add to smoothies or soups.