Start The New Year With This Healthy Chicken Soba Noodle Salad
Gluten- and dairy-free recipe for a healthy start of the year
One for your 'get healthier' new year's resolutions!
If you’ve promised yourself that this year you’ll be a bit more health conscious and selective with the ingredients you choose for your diet, here’s a quick recipe to help you make the first steps. This meal is easy, healthy, entirely gluten, dairy and sugar-free and most importantly, tasty! Best thing? It can be served warm or cold and the ingredients are easily available wherever you are in Japan. Enjoy!
This is a gluten/dairy/refined sugar/nut free meal. Serves 2.
- 100 grams 100% buckwheat noodles soba noodles
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup of your favorite fresh herbs (coriander, basil, mint, parsley, etc.)
- 1 cup of snap peas or snow peas (blanched)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 150-200 grams cooked chicken (substitute tofu for a vegetarian option)
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 teaspoons honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add dressing ingredients into a small jar and shake until well combined.
- Cook the soba noodles as per instructions on the packet. Once done, rinse under water for a few minutes to remove the glugginess. Drain and add to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining prepared ingredients to the bowl, pour dressing in and toss until everything is well coated.
- Divide into serving bowls. Garnish with a few extra sesame seeds and green onion.
* 100% buckwheat noodles are known as juwari soba (十割そば). These are wheat and gluten free, so are suitable for those affected by coeliac disease or on a gluten-free diet. Be aware that most standard packet soba noodles you will find in supermarkets or restaurants will contain wheat flour, so keep an eye out for these kanji!