Recipe: Matcha Ice Cream
DIY Japanese Summer Treats
You can find green tea ice creams all across Japan, but it’s extra special when you make it yourself!
Matcha, the unbeatable boss of all Japanese teas, is also a tremendously popular ice cream flavor that has won the hearts of many in and out of Japan. From matcha-only ice cream stores to extra rich flavors from popular ice cream brands, the green flavor is not only healthy but also ridiculously delicious. And now, it comes to your home with these easy tips on how to make your own.
One of my favorite summer recipes, making matcha ice cream is quick and easy to make at home. You don’t need an ice cream maker for this recipe and it takes no more than five minutes to make. The perfect treat for the kids and adults, give it a try on your next break or when you have guests over — in no time, I’m sure that you’ll be experimenting with different flavored ice creams once you see first-hand the rewards of making your own.
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder, mixed with about 4 tablespoons water
- 500ml double cream
- 300ml condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Using a fork or a small whisk, mix the matcha powder and water together until all lumps are dissolved. Set aside.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form.
- Stir in the condensed milk, lemon juice and matcha mix using a large spoon. Mix well together.
- Transfer the ice cream into an airtight container and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Then serve in ice cream cups, decorate as you wish, and enjoy!